Google continues its quest to make the web more mobile-friendly, by improving the rankings that mobile-friendly websites receive in search results. These changes are prompted by a rise in consumer use of smartphones/tablets to search the Internet: up from 36% to 61% in the past two years.
The following will help small businesses improve their sites for smartphone and tablet users:
- Check if your website is mobile-friendly with Google’s Mobile-Friendly Test*.
- Google offers these guidelines for making your site mobile-friendly:
- Avoid Flash and other software that’s not compatible with mobile devices.
- Use large text that is readable without zooming in.
- Use screen-sized content that doesn’t require users to scroll or zoom.
- Allow space between buttons and links for easy tapping.
- Add a click-to-call button in a prominent position to help convert web visitors into customers.
- Make it easy to book an appointment online.
By becoming more mobile-friendly, small businesses will benefit by the additional sales activity generated from increased mobile traffic.
Source: Kitty McConnell, Manta Trends